cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • Cc: "This is the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:22:34 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Victor wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a while and their really isn't a short cut to having someone with actual ears listen to all the samples and call out ("samples picks") those 33% that are actually useful.

Maybe the situation can be improved with better collaborative filtering.

If there are links back to sample sources, which there are, then pagerank can do a lot of the work. After that tagging is the key to helping me navigate, and that also exists.

One thing missing is a popularity listing -- right now you always get a date listing.

Also, there might not be enough raw data, meaning samples, tags, and backlinks. Having numbers on the order of 50,000 rather than 500 might be a prerequisite.