cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • To: "ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: paulosacramento AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:13:46 -0800

Lucas Gonze wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Victor wrote:

I should make it clear: what you can NOT do is upload the loops "as is",
you have to use them in a composition/remix.

What if I upload a remix with a breakdown that allows people to sample out the raw loops? What if I sample out the raw loops from somebody else's breakdown?

IMO Acid loops and similar things are inevitable but worth avoiding if at all possible.

You're asking a legal question and I'm not a lawyer and I don't have any legal advice but really the provision is about re-packaging the loopset and selling it without cutting Sony in.

If you think Sony will sue you for the case you describe above then you shouldn't do it. But if they ever did sue a musician they would immediately lose a huge source of revenue. Considering the attitude of their music division and rootkit DRMs they might just be pathological enough to start suing musicians for using their products, who knows anymore.

But this more than about Sony, a similar type license comes with most sounds, patches, samples and other default noises that come bundled or built-in to software hosts and plugins not to mention hardware synths, drum boxes, samplers, etc.

Samples and sample packages are the life blood of the music industry. Avoiding them, just on principle seems arbitrarily limiting -- why use electricity when it's possible to make music without it?

VS