cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA AT AlacrityManagement.com>
  • To: "'discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work'" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:01:57 -0700

On Tuesday, August 02, 2005 11:45 AM Mike Linksvayer <> wrote:
>> Instead of:
>>
>> C 1995 Example Photographer. Licensed to the public under
>> http://creativcommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ verify at
>> http://example.com/licenseinfo
>>
>> C 2005 Example Photographer <email AT example.com> -- This work is
>> licensed to the public under the Creative Commons
>> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
>> License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ verify at
>> http://example.com/licenseinfo
>
> Everything before "license-url [verify at metadata-url]" is for
> humans only and can be as verbose as you like. We should be explicit
> about this. Currently http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3 only
> explicitly says
>
> # If "verify at " exists in TCOP, everything after it must be the #
> license claim URL, and if there is a license claim URL then it must
> be # preceded by "verify at ".
>
> The first formulation above was designed to keep the string as short
> as possible while still providing useful information to humans given
> programs that display the contents of TCOP and similar are obviously
> expecting something much shorter, rendering such fields in short
> single line widgets. I see nothing wrong with being more verbose,
> nor any reason to require a specific format for that part of the
> string.

BTW, some of the logic on why the text:

I explicitly wanted there to be some ability to contact the author of the
work, either email or web page. The statement "This work is licensed to the
public" is licensed to be clear that we are talking about what the item is
(this work) and that this is the public license, not a private license (for
instance, Magnatune has CC licensed music files and high-bitrate music files
that are only licensed to individuals). I felt naming the license was
important for human readibility. The rest kept compatibility with the
existing examples.

-- Christopher Allen