cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA AT AlacrityManagement.com>
  • To: "'discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work'" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:42:10 -0700

On Monday, August 01, 2005 8:23 AM Nathan R. Yergler <> wrote:
> It seems there are two obvious possiblities for embedding CC license
> information in JPEG files. First, EXIF contains a "copyright" tag
> which is intended to be populated with a statement such as
> "Copyright, John Smith, 20xx. All rights reserved." Following the
> example of embedding a license statement in the TCOP field of ID3v2
> for MP3 files, we could embed a standard statement, such as "C 1995
> Example Photographer. Licensed to the public under
> http://creativcommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ verify at
> http://example.com/licenseinfo";. Work metadata and verification
> information would then be stored in an external file, in this case
> http://example.com/licenseinfo. This approach has the advantages
> that EXIF manipulation is well understood and a common operation of
> image editting software and sites. Additionally, other tools may be
> able to display CC license metadata (even if they do not validate or
> populate) simply because they display all available EXIF data.
> However, the disadvantage is that it requires metadata to be stored
> in an external, secondary file.

EXIF is very similar to TCOP in MP3, and ICOP in MP2/4, so I lean toward
supporting in audio and video. I do recommend a slight modifier of how the
text should read:

Instead of:

C 1995 Example Photographer. Licensed to the public under
http://creativcommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ verify at
http://example.com/licenseinfo

C 2005 Example Photographer <email AT example.com> -- This work is licensed to
the public under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ verify at
http://example.com/licenseinfo

-- Christopher Allen

.. Christopher Allen Alacrity Management ..
.. <ChristopherA at AlacrityManagement.com> 1563 Solano Ave Ste 353 ..
.. blog: www.LifeWithAlacrity.com o510/649-4030 Berkeley, CA 94707 ..