cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Standardizing JPEG licensing
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:44:55 -0700

Christopher Allen wrote:
EXIF is very similar to TCOP in MP3, and ICOP in MP2/4, so I lean toward
supporting in audio and video. I do recommend a slight modifier of how the
text should read:

Instead of:

C 1995 Example Photographer. Licensed to the public under
http://creativcommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ verify at
http://example.com/licenseinfo

C 2005 Example Photographer <email AT example.com> -- This work is licensed to
the public under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ verify at
http://example.com/licenseinfo

Everything before "license-url [verify at metadata-url]" is for humans only and can be as verbose as you like. We should be explicit about this. Currently http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3 only explicitly says

# If "verify at " exists in TCOP, everything after it must be the
# license claim URL, and if there is a license claim URL then it must be
# preceded by "verify at ".

The first formulation above was designed to keep the string as short as possible while still providing useful information to humans given programs that display the contents of TCOP and similar are obviously expecting something much shorter, rendering such fields in short single line widgets. I see nothing wrong with being more verbose, nor any reason to require a specific format for that part of the string.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21