cc-metadata - Re: rel="license"

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Firas D." <fd AT firasd.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: rel="license"
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:11:41 -0500

Lucas Gonze wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Firas D. wrote:

The bulleted concerns are addressed by the act of formalizing the spec into an XMDP profile--for example,

The exact meaning, documentation etc of the rel value is derived from the profiles referenced in the <html> element.

Ah! I just learned something -- I understood the meaning of profiles WRT rel values for the first time. Thanks for the pointer.

Even so, I'm not in love with having rel values be strings rather than URNs, because the extra step in dereferencing will lead to buggier software, and because there is still a namespace clash within a single document with multiple profiles. But it's a busy day for me so I'll leave off.

- Lucas

A quick note--not sure about what URNs are in the capital-S Semantic Web world, but in the HTML world putting URIs in the rel attribute is a horrid violation of the spec.. the rel/rev attributes (link types) are supposed to specify "the relationship of the linked document with the current document". Such as alternate, prev, next, contents, index, copyright, glossary, etc. Basically in Opera and Mozilla etc. you can click on the word 'alternate' or 'license' and be shown a list of documents that are alternate versions or licenses for the current resource.

The namespace clash is resolved in favour of the earlier-specified profile (the profile attribute is a space-seperated list of URIs).

I understand the general issue you're trying to address, but 'rel' is not the way to do it. Doesn't the embedded RDF take care of that?

(I guess one could take it up with the XHTML 2 drafters..)