cc-metadata - Re: rel="license"

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: rel="license"
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:53:02 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Firas D. wrote:

Lucas Gonze wrote:

Thinking in a blue sky mode, my preference would be for the 'license' tag to be a URN. EG:

This manages to sit on the line in between the lower case semantic web and the upper case Semantic Web. I realize that it's a non-standard approach, but I think this approach is likely to become very common because of the benefits:

* no need to negotiate over bits of text like 'license'

* self-documenting -- a developer can learn about a rel value by going to the URN.

* can automatically check for typos by attempting to dereference the URN.

- Lucas

The bulleted concerns are addressed by the act of formalizing the spec into an XMDP profile--for example,

The exact meaning, documentation etc of the rel value is derived from the profiles referenced in the <html> element.

Ah! I just learned something -- I understood the meaning of profiles WRT rel values for the first time. Thanks for the pointer.

Even so, I'm not in love with having rel values be strings rather than URNs, because the extra step in dereferencing will lead to buggier software, and because there is still a namespace clash within a single document with multiple profiles. But it's a busy day for me so I'll leave off.

- Lucas