cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:22:02 -0400

On Thursday 26 April 2012 04:01:27 Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
> On 25.04.2012 19:56, drew Roberts wrote:
> > Gisle, it could be even more nuanced than that. (If the societies get
> > their act together.)
> >
> > They could even manage the Free cc licenses for attribution and other
> > compliance for us.
>
> My right to insist on attribution and other moral rights follows from
> Article 6 bis in the Berne convention and have to be respected in all
> jurisdictions that has signed the Berne convention. I've no intention
> to let *anyone* (being it a PRO or CC) interfere with that right.

In my years of listening to the radio in a few countries, lots of songs play
without the recording artist being named and almost all without the
songwriters / lyricists being named.

I don't really think appropriate for the medium should often mean no mention
at all.

> In Norway, this issue is moot. Norwegian PROs have no problems with
> making sure their licensees honour moral rights.

So, just before every song is played on the radio (or right after) over
there,
all of the creators are named?

> For instance, they
> don't issue licenses to use Works for advertising or for use by
> political or religious organizations. The applicable rights for such
> uses must *always* be cleared with the individual creator/performer.
>
> This may be handled different by PROs in other jurisdictions, but
> I think this in something that CC cannot regulate - and therefore
> should not pretend it can.

It already stipulates it in the BY clause. It does not regulate it but
requires it as a part of the license. Or are we misunderstanding each other's
terms?