cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:38:03 -0400

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:57:12 +0100, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 02:19 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
>>
>> There is no reason why BY or BY-SA should be incompatible either.
>
> There is because it clashes with how collecting societies operate at the
> moment.

Right, but this is their choice, not some fundamental law of the
universe. There is no reason they could not adapt if they wanted to.

> If I belong to a collecting society, and I license my work
> BY-SA, then there is a contradiction between the society's right to
> collect on the copyrights of my work, and your right to use the work
> Free-as-in-Freedom way.

Only because they insist on being exclusive.

Say I put two licenses on my song.

1. CC BY-SA
2. Some license crafted for my CS/PRO that they love.

They can just ignore the BY-SA and enforce license #2. The ones I know
about give blanket licenses for everything they license for a set
percentage of revenue. (For example from a music playing oriented radio
station.) So they just collect on license #2 from their licensees and
give me my cut. People playing only Free Licensed music would not need
to enter into a license with them and so they could not collect under
#2. People playing a mix of Free and non-Free music would need to enter
into a license with them and they could then collect on license #2.

Flaws in this thinking?