cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:01:27 +0200

On 25.04.2012 19:56, drew Roberts wrote:

> Gisle, it could be even more nuanced than that. (If the societies get their
> act together.)
>
> They could even manage the Free cc licenses for attribution and other
> compliance for us.

My right to insist on attribution and other moral rights follows from
Article 6 bis in the Berne convention and have to be respected in all
jurisdictions that has signed the Berne convention. I've no intention
to let *anyone* (being it a PRO or CC) interfere with that right.

In Norway, this issue is moot. Norwegian PROs have no problems with
making sure their licensees honour moral rights. For instance, they
don't issue licenses to use Works for advertising or for use by
political or religious organizations. The applicable rights for such
uses must *always* be cleared with the individual creator/performer.

This may be handled different by PROs in other jurisdictions, but
I think this in something that CC cannot regulate - and therefore
should not pretend it can.
"Don't follow leaders // Watch the parkin' meters" - Bob Dylan