cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Collecting societies (and PROs)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:57:12 +0100

On 04/10/2012 02:19 PM, drew Roberts wrote:

There is no reason why BY or BY-SA should be incompatible either.

There is because it clashes with how collecting societies operate at the moment. If I belong to a collecting society, and I license my work BY-SA, then there is a contradiction between the society's right to collect on the copyrights of my work, and your right to use the work Free-as-in-Freedom way.

I can give you the right to freely use my work, or I can give the collecting society the right to collect fees from everyone who uses my work. I cannot do both at the same time...

Every so often someone proposes a creating a CC-friendly collecting society. It doesn't happen, but I think that existing collecting societies could do their members a great service by also enforcing CC licenses.

- Rob.