cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:37:16 +0900

On 2012/04/23, at 3:43, <zotz AT 100jamz.com> <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:

> You want person 2 to be able to take person 1's BY-SA work and
> distribute it or a derivative of it "protected" by DRM and in the clear
> elsewhere without seeking person 1's permission. This is different than
> the dual license situation.

Yes, I'm perfectly well aware of this, thank you.

My point was that there are two possible places to be concerned: limits on
the user, and the ability of a adaptor to close the work down.

DRM+Parallel+Permission to Circumvent means that the user can be no more
limited than he is in *different* cases that everyone agrees are perfectly
acceptable under the license.

The same set of permissions means that an adaptor cannot close the work down
by releasing it DRM-encumbered, because he has to release it open as well.

Permission to circumvent is probably more useful in solving the first
problem, and parallel distribution more important in blocking the second. So
I now think the license should include both.

I think banning DRM distribution will condemn BY-SA works to a ghetto and
create a license that no-one cares about because no-one releases any content
under it that anyone finds interesting. Thus, I think a straight prohibition
on DRM would actively harm the cause of free culture.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/