cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: adam <adam AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:08:46 +0200

Great explanation. Many thanks for the careful consideration and suggestions for forward movement.

My only comment is that encouraging people to use the GPL for non-software works is a losing battle (speaking from 5 years of experience trying to do this). I would encourage CC to focus more on raising awareness of the value of source as you have suggested and not emphasize pushing the issue towards the GPL.

Other than that I think a check box as you have described would be an excellent start. Actually I think its a significant start and it would be fantastic to see this as a concrete outcome out of this process.

adam