cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:33:42 -0400

On Wednesday 18 April 2012 06:03:45 David Chart wrote:
> On 2012/04/16, at 23:09, drew Roberts wrote:
> >> In any case, I suggest this as a way to make the 4.0 copyleft a bit
> >> stronger.
> >
> > I say that is not enough stronger and we can make it stronger still
> > without adverse effects for those wanting to operate in the Free World.
>
> I know that my proposal doesn't meet your requirements, but then I disagree
> with your requirements.
>
> More objectively, your proposal would replace an implicit permission in
> version 3 with an explicit prohibition in version 4.

Yes but it would start to treat photos and images used in books (for
instance)
more like it currently treats audio used in video or films.

> I really don't think
> that's a good idea for something this broad. Apart from anything else, I,
> personally, do want to allow aggregation with non-free works, but require
> sharealike for actual adaptations.

You could always allow that for you BY-SA works even if the license did not.
You can grant extra freedoms, you can't impose extra restrictions. (I think.)

> I do have a question for clarification. I can see how the CD case restricts
> your freedoms in the future. I don't see how the illustrated book goes
> beyond that. If my proposal does what I intend, you can strip the text out
> of the book and distribute your photographs in that layout. This would
> appear to preserve your freedom to use your works, or anyone else's BY-SA
> works.

I think you are missing the Share-Alike idea. I want to share alike. Not have
you share in my stuff to create and profit from stuff that I am restricted
from profiting from if I get the inclination.

You want to allow someone to create a copyrighted work that includes your
copyleft works and you not be able to deal with that work as the person
making it does. That is not for me. If they are proponents of the permission
culture, let them ask my permission. If they operate Freely, so do I,
permission is already given in the license. They presumably already have to
get someone else's permission to make the copyrighted work in question, how
much harder is it to get my permission?

Lest you think this is from greed, note that BY-SA will certainly allow them
to sell copies of my works and keep all the money for themselves. I am
looking more for the Freedom.