cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:32:08 +0200

Am Samstag, 7. April 2012, 23:42:48 schrieb Francesco Poli:
> > So, it might be a point to argue that this is the FSFs problem - get a
> > better marketing team - but promoting the GPL for non-software works is
> > by and large not their mandate as they see it.
>
> It's not a marketing issue: it's that RMS does not want to promote
> the GPL for non-programmatic works. He wants to promote the terrible
> GFDL for documentation and the like, and other licenses for other types
> of works.

And I think there is background to that: He does not want people to change his
own articles, and if you take that as a prior value for defining freedom, then
all the “functional works” flabbergasting follows.

Which, yes, is unfortunate.

But RMS is not the only person in the free software movement.

And whenever someone recognized the GPLv3 logo on my pen-and-paper roleplaying
game, they said “cool! the GPL is now also in real life!”

Best wishes,
Arne

PS: Yes, calling RPGs real life is a bit of a stretch, but that’s what they
said :)
GPL suddenly becomes much more real when you see it on printed cultural works.