cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Guadamuz <anduril13 AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 05:06:08 -0600

While I'm sympathetic about your concerns regarding formats, it would be very problematic to implement, as we would have to create definitions of what is considered a source file in a large variety of creative works.

Take for example text. If we declare .mobi and PDF formats undesirable, what would be considered source? Would a .doc be acceptable? If not, I envisage people getting annoyed at having formats imposed through licensing, and it might have the opposite effect, namely, that people would prefer not to share.

Best Regards,

Andres