cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kuno Woudt <kuno AT frob.nl>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:19:26 -0500

Hello,

On 07/04/12 15:07, Francesco Poli wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:29:04 -0500 Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
- If I release a PNG, should I have to release my accompanying GIMP or
Photoshop files?

If you want to release the source code (and I really encourage to do
so, in any real case), you have to release whatever form you prefer
for making modifications to the PNG image.

Those are the optimal verisons, but what if I
didn't keep them?

In that case, you clearly showed that you do not regard them as
preferred form for making modifications to the image: as a consequence,
the source is whatever form you prefer for making modifications to the
image, *among* the forms you kept around.

Wouldn't someone always be able to claim this? Effectively making a
source-requirement clause a no-op, because a publisher can always claim
that whatever they distributed is the preferred form.

-- kuno.