cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:15:34 -0700

Thanks very much for this concrete proposal, Christopher. We have added it to the 4.0 wiki.

Defining the scope of the license is the most challenging aspect of the 4.0 drafting process. We continue to struggle with the tension between wanting the license to be as comprehensive as possible to give licensees all of the rights they need to truly exercise the rights granted, and on the other hand, preventing it from being so broad it includes rights that are not likely to be held by a single licensor.

Note there is also a second question as to whether these rights beyond copyright should be licensed and subject to all of the license conditions, or whether they should simply be waived or not asserted by the licensor (and if so, which rights should fall into which category). The initial draft of 4.0 includes a waiver of "ancillary rights" to the extent possible and necessary for the licensee to exercise the rights granted under the license. We are very curious to hear thoughts on whether this dual approach is practical and useful.

All of these issues are extremely important for receiving community feedback. Any input would be much appreciated.

best,
Sarah