cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:18:10 +0000

On 21/01/12 21:01, Ben Finney wrote:

>> I think you are thinking only in terms of works that are or perhaps
>> were at one time in the digital realm. What about for works that have
>> never yet maid it there?
>
> Then one needs to understand exactly what is being copied, since
> copyright covers only copies of expression.

Such as copying a painting or sculpture. :-)

*If* the work satisfies the originality requirements for an artwork (and
these vary internationally) then an artwork fixed in the form of a
sculpture or painting gets copyright as soon as it is created.

Copyright can therefore be infringed on such work, whether through
digital, analog, mechanical or manual copying, and a copyright license
can therefore also be offered.

- Rob.