cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • Cc: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:08:36 -0500

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> Does everyone agree that a gpl cong used in a movie would require the movie
> be gpl?

Probably, in the vast majority of cases. You could probably come up
with a counterexample, though (e.g. if the song and the moving picture
were randomly selected).

> So what about (also from that post):
>
> gpl or by-sa photograph -in-> book => book does not have to be gpl or by-sa

Depends if the photo is "separate and independent" from the rest of
the book. If the book is just a collection of photos, I think that'd
fall under "separate and independent". If the photos are described in
the text, that's probably not "separate and independent". Somewhere
in between, and it's somewhere in between.