cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:30:56 +0100

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:51:52 -0500 drew Roberts wrote:

> On Sunday 01 January 2012 18:28:40 Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > I don't think that it's really possible to define a clear cut criterion
> > to distinguish "code" from "non-code".
> >
> > The boundaries between program works and non-program works are blurred.
> >
> > For instance, Postscript is a Turing-complete language, with even loops
> > and conditional statements: is a .ps file a document/image or a
> > program? It's both a program (interpreted by an interpreter, such as
> > Ghostscript) and a document or an image represented in a sophisticated
> > format...
> >
> > Hence, I think you cannot require making source available for program
> > parts, while allowing source-less distribution for non-program parts.
>
> So:
>
> 'If the work can properly be considered code,

I think that this sentence is meaningless: everything (that may be
processed by a computer) is code.
Hence, if we are speaking about a digitally represented work, we are
speaking about code.

> and there exists a "preferred
> form of the work for making modifications to it"

Again, this condition is always satisfied.
Any work that may be processed by a computer, may be modified.
Among the possible forms, there always exists one that is preferred for
making modifications.

> then source code must be
> provided.'
>
> Would something like that work?

I think it would work, in the sense that it would require making source
available for *any* kind of work (that may be processed automatically).
Which is exactly what I think a strong and effective copyleft mechanism
should require...

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!