cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Valentin Villenave <valentin AT villenave.net>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:37:18 +0100

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
wrote:
> In sum, I find the idea interesting in theory, I'd guess there's a
> high hurdle for demonstrating that it would likely be beneficial
> enough to include in 4.0, and welcome attempts to do so. The most
> convincing attempt would be to immediately get some major NC <= 3.0
> licensors to make independent commitments to dropping NC after some
> short number of years. :)

As someone who's been using -NC in the past and is now in the middle
of relicensing everything under BY-SA or FAL, I have to say this line
of thought does sound familiar. I think Gregor's idea is bold and
interesting, and certainly deserves to be carefully considered (it
somehow meets the rationale I once suggested to rms, which he
mentioned at the end of
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html ).

Cheers,
Valentin.