cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:47:26 -0500

Jonathon Blake wrote:
> In developed countries, not everybody will take something, simply
> because it is free. In developing countries, people will take
> something that is free, regardless of whether or not they can use that
> item. As a cost control measure, organizations in the third world
> will sell material at, or below their cost.

I'm a bit puzzled by this paragraph. Was that offered in support of the
Dev Nations license/clause concept, or against it?

Either way, I'm not sure I understand the argument you are trying to make.

Some isolated observations:

* In a matter economy, the statement you make implies over-consumption
is more probable in developing nations than in developed ones (frankly,
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the GNP of ones country --
surely this is more of a function of individual wealth? I can see were
fear of economic instability is an issue as well -- but you know, we
have that in the US, too).

* Over-consumption is generally regarded as a *problem* of having too
low a cost, not a benefit.

* Which costs would your "cost control measure" be trying to control?
And why?

* In an information economy, the statements about costs and consumption
don't necessarily correlate to anything. It isn't actually possible to
over-consume information.

But I'm not really sure what you were trying to say.

Cheers,
Terry