cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi AT freebsd.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:58:02 +0200

Jonathon Blake schrieb:
> Until the license contains an explicit definition of either, or
> preferably both, "commercial" and "non-commercial" the NC license is
> going to be confusing.
>
> Adding a Dev-Nations style license as an option will turn it from the
> byzantine, to bzantinized Russian dolls.
>
> Example time: Explain to Fortune50_media_conglomerate why they have
> to pay royalties for showing a movie based on a manuscript you wrote,
> whilst Lesotho-TV does not have to pay royalties, and Oranjemund
> Productions, headquartered in Oranjemund, Namibia, does not have to
> pay you royalties. Then explain to that same media conglomerate that
> they also owe royalty payments to Oranjemund Productions.

I don't think you could perplex 'Fortune50_media_conglomerate' with
byzantine license terms, these people pretty much invented the art and
employ a whole workforce dedicated to it. Enforcing those terms however
if said conglomerate violates them would probably beyond the means of
the vast majority of CC licensors today.

--
,_, | Michael Nottebrock | lofi AT freebsd.org
(/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve | http://www.freebsd.org