cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:53:54 +0100

(It is excellent that CC have deprecates Sampling and DevNations. Thank you to everyone at CC who made this possible.)

Jonathon Blake wrote:

Gift economies and the tension between gratis and non-gratis distribution.

Gift economies are downstream of, that is they are epiphenomena of, rights.

The foreign aid policy of the PRC under Chairman Mao was probably the
most beneficial aid for the recipients of that aid, of any of the
super powers.

I'm not sure how that can be translated into a usable license. :(

As someone who spends *far* too much of their time thinking about licenses I would say that there are some (*many*...) things that cannot be achieved using licenses. We should pursue them by other means.

- Rob.