cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:23:37 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Massy" <smassy AT sdf.lonestar.org>
To: "Javier Candeira" <javier AT candeira.com>; "Discussion on the Creative
Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:07 PM

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:31:19AM +1100, Javier Candeira wrote:
> > drew Roberts wrote:
> > > My take is that artists using NC are either not thinking enough steps
ahead
> > > just yet, or are full of themselves, or are trying to take advantage
of the
> > > "commons" for their own private reasons without actually wanting to
benefit
> > > the "commons." (With a few possible wiggle areas.)
> > > Why would I make these claims which may seem harsh?
> > >
> > > Enough steps ahead: how can any artist make a living "commons wise"
when all
> > > works end up NC?
> >
> > ?Exactly how do you expect the novelists currently publishing under a
> > by-nc-sa license to make a living if they publish their work under
by-sa?

> > > Why not leave the option for making money open for all including
youself down
> > > the road should you be in a position to do so at a later date?
> >
> > > How do you see NC being a better defense than SA? (Or a stronger SA?)
> >
> > SA only serves to dilute the scarcity value of copies, making more
difficult
> > for everyone (including authors) to make money off copies. Free Sofware
goes
> > around it by making money off services, but unfortunately there aren't
many
> > high-paying jobs for novelists. Especially now that the Web is slowly
> > eroding profits at newspapers.

> I must say, this is a concern for writers wishing to use free licenses
> whilst still earning a living. Musicians and performing artists still
> have the opportunity to perform for profit or release higher quality
> versions of their songs/recordings. Photographers and graphic artists
> can (and often) do something similar, releasing a low-resolution
> version of a picture under a free license and making a higher
> resolution available on request or for some form of monetary
> compensation.

True.

> Writers do not really have such alternatives, as a body
> of text is a body of text is body of test...

Audio books are a good possibility, or other alternative ways to deliver the
"text".

> Once you've read
> something, you've read it; if it is very good, you might wish to read
> it again, but are unlikely to wish to read it every day or hang it on
> your wall.
> S.M.

ok. So you need to come to my house and explain to my fiancee why she
doesn't actually need to buy all of Cory Doctorow's books because he has
them online for free download. :) She loves books, likes to carry them
around and read them on trains, swap them with friends. She's an active
bookmoocher and doesn't seem to be so unique in this regard.

It's apparently also essential to have more than one version of a book,
especially limited edition shiny covered highly-stroke'able expensive ones!
:) ...prefereably signed...

Kevin (aka tacet :: ccMixter)