cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:31:19 +1100

drew Roberts wrote:
> My take is that artists using NC are either not thinking enough steps ahead
> just yet, or are full of themselves, or are trying to take advantage of the
> "commons" for their own private reasons without actually wanting to benefit
> the "commons." (With a few possible wiggle areas.)
> Why would I make these claims which may seem harsh?
>
> Enough steps ahead: how can any artist make a living "commons wise" when
> all
> works end up NC?

¿Exactly how do you expect the novelists currently publishing under a
by-nc-sa license to make a living if they publish their work under by-sa?

> Why not leave the option for making money open for all including youself
> down
> the road should you be in a position to do so at a later date?

> How do you see NC being a better defense than SA? (Or a stronger SA?)

SA only serves to dilute the scarcity value of copies, making more difficult
for everyone (including authors) to make money off copies. Free Sofware goes
around it by making money off services, but unfortunately there aren't many
high-paying jobs for novelists. Especially now that the Web is slowly
eroding profits at newspapers.

-- javier