cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:32:18 -0600

Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:05 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
>>Presumably CC could give you access to the database, and you could use
>>all of them, not just a random sample.
>
> Yes, CC would.

I'm going to have to take you up on that. We might need to talk about
formats, etc. offlist (I'd want to get it into SQL, I think. But even
CSV would do. What's the existing backend database?).

> ccMixter data is worth looking at, but skewed badly in at least two
> ways:
> * No by-sa present

Definitely a problem from my PoV.

> * Whatever license used by the most popular contest source(s) will have
> been re-used the most, regardless of its impact globally

I don't use ccMixter much myself -- are you saying that much of the
content results from periodic contests?

Even so, though, I think it would be interesting to do a study on the
fates of works under different licenses. I could certainly write a
script to do this kind of study.

One thing that concerns me a little is the distinction between mixing
"tracks" (e.g. syncing music to an a capella song track) and mixing
"samples" (e.g. constructing music from samples). Those are different in
their legal consequences, if I understand correctly (the latter is
allowed by Sampling, but the former, not, I would think).

Cheers,
Terry