cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Luis Villa" <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:05:28 -0500

On 3/8/07, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> You could perhaps measure re-use of
> samples in ccmixter for a similar study?

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Yes, ccMixter identifies
sources, doesn't it? I could select samples of works at random,

Presumably CC could give you access to the database, and you could use
all of them, not just a random sample.

and then
track their reuse forward in time. It'll be tricky, because NC works
will logically be over-available simply because there are many more of
them ("network effect" -- the same thing you mention below for GPL).

I didn't say it was a great data source, just the best one I can think
of- it shows direct ancestry (the least bad measure of
reuse/improvement we have).

I'm afraid this may not be a great example from the PoV of supporting an
anti-NC thesis, though. Because of network effects and relatively low
utility, it may well be that ccMixter is one of the few places where an
"NC commons" may actually "succeed".

It might be useful to gather the data, whether or not you think it
would support the thesis. At any rate, unless you have another
database which tracks reuse of CC-licensed content, I'm not sure where
else you're actually going to get any objective, measurable data on
reuse, so my guess is that either you do it with ccmixter and see
where it takes you, or you don't do it at all.

Luis