cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC 3 and Circumvention [Was Re: Version 3.0 - Public Discussion]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <teloscorbin AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC 3 and Circumvention [Was Re: Version 3.0 - Public Discussion]
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:22:06 -0400

On 8/15/06, Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se> wrote:
Such a provision already exist, in the new Generic 3.0 license it is
expressed as "[y]ou may not impose any technological measures on the
Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
exercise their rights granted under the License."

But that doesn't authorize circumvention,
it says you can use DRM, but only if you
use a "dummy" DRM that doesn't actually
restrict any rights. And I think that only works
if you take a broad interpretaion of that clause.

I mentioned earlier that a narrow interpretation
might be "We've created a DRM version of the file
that doesn't allow you to copy or distribute, but
that doesn't prohibite you from exercising the rights
of the work on the original work."