cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:23:54 -0500

Greg London wrote:
OK, fine. See my last email. How about we allow people to
redistribute in whatever format they wish, and the license says they
cannot use DRM to restrict the use of rights on the DRM platform and
that the authority to circumvent DRM for all versions of that work is
automatically granted for all derivatives and all copies.

Then folks don't have to issue a parallel copy of the work.

Hmm. How about instead, we do that *AND* require the parallel
dist of the non-DRM version? That obviates the need to reverse
engineer DRM for at least most interesting cases, maybe all
of them if those favoring the parallel dist strategy are right.

Cheers,
Terry