cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:14:06 +0000

Hi all,

I started thinking about what color-coded CC badges would look like,
so I downloaded the art from the press kit and had a go at it in Inkscape:

http://x.narya.net/static/terry/cc_colors.png
http://x.narya.net/static/terry/cc_colors.svg

This incorporates several ideas that have been discussed on this list:

1) Disambiguation of "free" and "non-free" licenses, particularly through
changing the "motto" on the badge, in addition to the colors.

2) Keeps the CC-By-NC badges very close to the existing badge (many
people regard this as the meaning of "Creative Commons License").
Actually, I tried to hang onto the CC "look" as much as possible.

3) The EULA badge at the bottom is a response to an earlier thread about
providing RDF and badges to identify existing restrictive license terms.
The black squares are "rights removed" by contractual agreement in
some EULAs: no privacy ("spyware"), DRM, no backups, muzzle rules.
Obviously I haven't developed that as well as the other parts, but it
gives an idea of what might be done (probably not by CC though).

4) The colors are the scheme I originally proposed, of course.

It's probably worth mentioning that the art is just a proposal, and that
the art is derived from CC trademark art, so you certainly shouldn't
actually use these for anything.

Also, they're only a draft. I'd do some fine-tuning if they were actually
going to be used! The font is "Free Sans" which is not quite a match
for what was used in the originals, though it's close.

Cheers,
Terry