cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:39:35 -0400

On Monday 05 June 2006 07:00 pm, Jonathon Blake wrote:
> Nancy wrote:
> > > Since you indicate that you can't use "ARR" works under fair use then I
> > > would expect you also not to be able to use most CC works under fair
> > > use as well, but only under licensed use.
> >
> > This is really unclear, and any help you could give is welcome.
>
> In plain English:
>
> 1: Standard "All Rights Reserved"
> Contact the creator, and negotiate with them to use the material.
>
> 2: Creative Commons "Non Commercial"
> Contact the creator, and negotiate with them to use the material.
>
> 3: Creative Commons "No Derivatives"
> Contact the creator, and negotiate with them to use the material.
>
> 4: Creative Commons "Share Alike"
> Use the material, _and_ acknowledge the source in the "credits" section.
>
> 5: Creative Commons "Public Domain"
> Use the material. Attribution is a courtesy.
> [The Odds are that you will not find any material created since the
> DCMA that is legally "public domain".]
>
> > are considering that maybe, we could use the
> > "By/Attribution/Non-Commercial" stuff in the ANC, especially if we
> > eliminate a chapter or
>
> Eliminating a chapter won't protect you from an NC suit. Especially
> if the work is the one that has a commercial version that has a MSRP
> of US$10 000.
>
> Do the legal, honest, and ethical thing, and adhere to the licence.
> Just because some material does not use a licence you can use, is not
> an issue for the creator of the material. Indeed, that might be the
> very reason that they chose the licence.
>
> > is any of this in violation of the default CC license?
>
> There is _NO_ default CC licence.
>
> >So, what do you think--can we use CC-default -licensed texts or not?
>
> Since there is no default CC licence, your question is meaningless.
>
> > Big question: where is "here" and what are the "relevant places"?
>
> "Here" is places where people who create works are found.
>
> I _think_ the op meant put something that was very visible on your
> website, soliciting contributions.

If I am the OP, I meant here on the CC lists. sk CC to put a blurb on the
front page of the website. Ask some of the blog places to post a request. sk
slashdot to post a request. Ask universities to post requests on their sites.
Ask all of the english departments if they could get students to license all
class homework of original materials to be licensed BY-SA for a year. I don't
know, be innovative.

> >I believe that if many authors knew why we want their texts for, and
>
> how we use them, they would be happy to contribute, but we have no
> idea where to go to solicit contributions. We have tried to advertise
> as contributing to the "definitive record of American English at the
> turn of the millennium", but we don't know where or to whom this
> should be advertised.
>
> If you really want to know how English is written, then get somebody
> to write usenet bot that sends a request to the author of every
> article on usenet, asking for permission to use their message. [Set
> up a dedicated machine as the news server/requestbot ]
>
> Also write a blogbot that wanders thru blogspace, emailing the author
> of the blogs, for permission to use the text, and copy the text,
> _after_ permission to do so have been granted.
>
> [And don't be surprised if more than a couple of people in blogspace
> write a note about your request.]
>
> xan
>
> jonathon

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145