cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:12:30 -0500

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 03:12 am, Jaroslaw Lipszyc wrote:
> Adam Fields wrote:
> > But I did want to comment on this. What about a license that allows
> > free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
> > use as well?
>
> This is non-sense. Nobody benefits from it, and result is less freedom
> for everybody.

Respectfully, just because you do not see the sense or the benefit does not
mean that others will not.

Can you not imagine someone writing a love song dedicated to someone and not
wanting to "sully" it with money? Wanting to put it beyond the reach of the
money grubbers as a demonstration of the profundity of his love? (Too bad for
him thogh, even if such a CC license existed, the copmulsary licence would
negate his wishes once he published - if I understand things.)

> What Greg says is, that we are really bad in making works
> free and creating sharing community ("gift ecenomy" means exactly that).
> THere are licenses which are very good in both. And - as i understand
> this - we should actively promote those licenses because now we are not
> doing it and results are far from perfect. It's that easy.

I think it makes more sense to have a copyleft only clause on a BY-SA without
the NC, but I am not sure it has no uses combined with NC. It is a means of
putting the original creator and all subsequent contributors on an even
footing. This could easily attract more contributors.

That said, I think everyone who is willing should make an extra push to
promote the creation and re-use of BY-SA works.

> greets
> Jaroslaw Lipszyc

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145