cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:38:56 +0000

Quoting Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>:

But I did want to comment on this. What about a license that allows
free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
use as well? I don't know if it really makes sense, but it seems to me
that releasing something under such a license would be the moral
equivalent of forming a non-profit corp. You're saying - "hey, world,
do what you want, non-commercially, and in exchange for your
contributions, know that no one is ever going to put this to
commercial use, myself included".

I agree with the poster who said that it doesn't make sense for people to deny
themselves their own rights in this way.

But an equivalent scenario for levelling the playing field for everyone who uses
the work including the original author is copyright assignment to a trusted
nonprofit organization. Think of the FSF and GNU.

I wouldn't recommend a nonprofit equivalent of GNU, though, as it doesn't make
sense to deny commercial use of work as a matter of principle (ipods to play
that NC content on will still cost money for example).

- Rob.