cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:09:07 -0500

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:54:11PM -0500, Greg London wrote:
> > But that's an argument against the use of an NC license to begin
> > with.
>
> And I'm arguing against using the NC license for
> any Gift Economy project. If you are a writer
> who is working on a market economy project,
> then you could use CC-NC to leverage your work,
> to let fans create fan-fic, to generate word-of-mouth, etc.
> But if you're trying to create a gift economy project,
> then I'd say use nothing but CC-SA.

Oh, well, that sounds fair.

> > And it's not necessarily "money", it's "profit". There's a
> > difference.
>
> Well, see, I don't really see a difference.
>
> my personal opinion on the matter
> is that CC-NC is a market economy license,
> that it is only used by individuals who wish
> to give away some rights in exchange for something
> else that may benefit them, such as generating
> word-of-mouth about a work and increasing sales.
>
> In that case, an author who is trying to make money
> on their work may not intend to give their work
> away for free to non-profit organizations.
> I'm not entirely sure what CC-NC users are expecting.
> But they may not be expecting that.

As I've said - I use CC-NC-ND to license my photos. I'm not selling
them. I don't want others to sell them. If you want to print out a
copy to hang on your wall, great. If you want to use it on the cover
of your brochure, I want to hear about it and possibly say no.

Beyond money, there is certainly a concept of control here. I don't
necessarily want my work being used for the benefit of organizations I
don't agree with, so I'm not ready to give blanket permissions that
would allow that. I tend to think of this as "aligning missions".

But this is pretty clearly "my work", not a gift economy. I think
we're saying the same thing.

--
- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience