cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed Constitutional Amendment to Creative Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed Constitutional Amendment to Creative Commons
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:19:07 -0500

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 05:06 am, Jaroslaw Lipszyc wrote:
> rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> >> 1. - The right to share without limit, at least
> >> noncommercially any
> >>work licensed with any license from Creative Commons.
> >> 2. - The right to create unlimited derivative works, at
> >> least
> >>nonconcommercially of works licensed with any license Creative Commons.
> >
> > That is, proceeding from which principles or based on which evidence?
>
> I b elieve this activities should be allowed by law in the first place.

OK, I think I agree with you on this point.

> Why? Because novody owns ideas, and non-commercial uses does not
> interfere with authors right to get paid.

I think it is harder to make this case if we don't speak of the authors right
to get paid but rather his ability to get paid. (it is just too easy to let
the tongue slip in this way and that is indeed what the big boys want.)

In any case, it is easy to envision that unlimited non-commercial copying
could reduce the money the author collects. It is also possible to envision
that it will result in him collecting more money.

> Since it's very unlikely, that
> copyroght law will be liberalised soon this seems to be a good set of
> minimal freedoms creative commons should ensure.

I think this as well, but see it being a hard sell. (Actually, I think this
may not be liberal enoug for my tastes, but my ideas will be an even harder
sell.)

> greetings
> Jaroslaw Lipszyc

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145