cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:43:33 -0500

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 08:37 am, Greg London wrote:
> > But I did want to comment on this. What about a license that allows
> > free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
> > use as well? I don't know if it really makes sense, but it seems to me
> > that releasing something under such a license would be the moral
> > equivalent of forming a non-profit corp. You're saying - "hey, world,
> > do what you want, non-commercially, and in exchange for your
> > contributions, know that no one is ever going to put this to
> > commercial use, myself included".
>
> I don't know if this is relevant, but
> please see "Argumentum ad lazarum"
> http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#lazarum
>
> Money is not inherently evil, so prohibiting it
> doesn't actually solve any problem.

Your points have weight, but see my post on the love song.

> And by prohibiting
> commercial use of a Free work, you prohibit companies
> such as Red Hat from using money as a way to expand
> distribution, advertising, and awareness.

Personally, I have little love of the NC clause for many reasons. I really
wouly like to see a "copyleft only" dedication option on BY-SA though. A
commitment that everyone is on an even footing with the project.

I think this could be useful to me as an option on the GPL as well where I
have an idea for a program that I can get started, but know I will not want
to maintian in the long haul.

> Greg

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145