cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] back to basics

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Antoine" <antoine AT pitrou.net>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] back to basics
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:56:56 +0100 (CET)

> Following that line of reasoning, if you save two MP3s with different
> settings, they are different works. But if you save the WAV file as FLAC
> then they're the same work.

As I already said, this is not the good question ;)
The good question is : can I recreate the WAV file from the CC-licensed
file I was given ?
- if the answer is yes, then the WAV file can implicitly be considered
CC-licensed (e.g. as a derived work of the FLAC file)
- if the answer is not, then it cannot

Most people in this discussion are desperately looking for answers to
questions that are simply the wrong questions (or badly-formulated ones).
For example "identical" has no clear meaning in the context of creative
works: thus its use as a discriminative concept is very dubious.

Once you come back to sound concepts and principles, everything is clear.

(by the way, please consider that in many jurisdictions (e.g France),
author's rights are considered quite fundamental, so any uncertainty in
interpreting a license had better be resolved by considering the
interpration that is the most restrictive)

Regards

Antoine.