cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:41:48 +0000

Antoine wrote:

But from this PDF I can re-create *another* OpenDocument file that will
be just like the original. The license allows me to do so. That's what
matters here.

This is questionable. OpenDocument files can contain macros, Xforms, embedded video, slide transitions and other things that just don't exist in PDF.

You can create *an* OpenDocument file, of course. But it's like creating a WAV file from the MP3.

But that does *not* give you the right to claim an existing WAV file is
also CC-licensed, when it actually isn't.

Well, that's the question we're trying to answer here :-)

Remember our discussion about the FAL: in the digital world, everything
is a copy. If I'm the author of a work, I can decide a specific copy is
under the FAL (or the CC-by-sa, or whatever), but that the original
isn't.

Let's not confuse the issue with talk of the "original". That doesn't exist in the digital world. You have two copies of a creative work. We want to figure out if you can CC-license one copy but not the other.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org