cc-licenses - Noncommercial vs. "airplay"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kitty HotShank <khelektari AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Noncommercial vs. "airplay"
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi. This subject may have been addressed to death,
but the archives are kind of hard to search - In
reproducing a 'non-commercial' song, where on the
spectrum would hold music fall? My university is
looking for music that we can play on the telephone
systems during hold that doesn't, you know, suck like
hold music usually does. This is not for profit, and
a website attributing all played artists and linking
to their home or material is being established. Have
we covered our bases to use the music, or should I go
out of the way to ask the artists' permission? All
input gratefully invited.
Kirsa.