cc-licenses - Re: Requiring Source [Was Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Requiring Source [Was Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 07:18:57 -0400

On Saturday 28 May 2005 07:06 pm, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 28 May 2005, at 23:49, drew Roberts wrote:
> >> How would one provide non-digital sources though? To use your
> >> example,
> >> the sources for the hand-drawn Disney cartoons are individual hand-
> >> drawn
> >> frames. Would a digitized form be good enough? What about a fine-
> >> art
> >> photograph where the source is a negative?
>
> For hand-drawn, scan everything.
>
> For a negative, copy or scan.
>
> Whilst the amounts of data for something like a cartoon might appear
> ridiculous, look at the Internet Archive: storage is getting cheaper,
> and there are ways and means.
>
> Low & high resolution versions could be provided.
>
> > This is why I wanted to limit the initial discussion to digital
> > music. If we
> > can't get anywhere with such a limited area, we have no hope with
> > the rest.
> > If we get somewhere useful, the process may lead to insights when
> > we come to
> > consider other areas.
> >
> > Does this idea make sense to anyone?
>
> Require the original sequencer file and samples. See NIN's Garageband
> release of one of their songs for a good example. Scans of the napkin
> the lyrics were written on wouldn't hurt.
>
> The file should be an open format wherever possible.
>
> I know requiring editable sources, or source material, for cultural
> works may seem silly, but the potential it could release would be far
> greater than just allowing sampling.

This is my feeling exactly. I am pondering starting a project to get Bahamian
artists to record Bahamian folk music. I am thinking of doint the recording
in ardour and releasing the ardour project files. Sequencer files would be
good as well. Perhaps Hydrogen for the drum stuff if not live. I am also
going to look into whether jamin can store some file representing the
mastering phase and releasing that as well.

I wanto to give resources to people who want to learn all parts of the
process. Can you imagine what a great resource it would be for someone
wanting to learn final mixdown and mastering techniques to have such source
materials available?