cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: mp <mp AT fsc.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 23:29:33 +0100

hi,

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 20:30, drew Roberts wrote:
> It is anything but clear. Some hold that a school which charges tuition
> could
> use NC works as text books and the like and still fall within the NC
> guidelines if they are a non-profit school. But, if they are a for profit
> school, they can't Some think it doesn't matter the status of the entity it
> matters what the particular use is. Etc.
>
> Do you have any clarity to add? I am sure many here honestly want to know.
> am one.

in other aspects of trade and exchange there is something called "Fair
Trade" (which certainly has its own problems:
http://www.newint.org/issue377/essay.htm), but this concept nevertheless
suggests that there can be gradations in the "morality" of trade. In
other words, commercial activity can be benevolent, well-meaning and
mutually enriching - and it can be horrible, but to make trade/commerce
an either/or choice is too simplistic.

in various social movement media project it has been stressed again and
again that NC is too problematic, because many of their creations
(documentaries, particularly) are used by other social movement
collectives to generate an income, mostly through screenings (that of
course also are outreach events).

perhaps it is time for Free trade (as opposed to free trade) or
something similar in the CC taxonomy?

it is somewhat ironic that radical anti-capitalist argue against NC and
indicates that some sort of serious reconfiguration is needed...

-mp