cc-licenses - Re: Requiring Source [Was Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mark Ivey <zovirl1_list AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Requiring Source [Was Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:40:00 -0700

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 16:12 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
> The example I use for how providing source could look is is a Disney
> DVD - look at all that preparatory art, the rough animation, deleted
> scenes, 3D models, scripts, storyboards. Add the score and you're there.

(I'm jumping in to the middle of this conversation, so hopefully I'm not
going over old ground)

Providing digital sources seems easy and useful: just provide whatever
was used by the creator (even if it is in a difficult format like Adobe
Dimensions, as mentioned in your link)

How would one provide non-digital sources though? To use your example,
the sources for the hand-drawn Disney cartoons are individual hand-drawn
frames. Would a digitized form be good enough? What about a fine-art
photograph where the source is a negative?

-Mark Ivey-