cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:30:21 -0400

On Thursday 26 May 2005 12:46 pm, Matt Burrows wrote:
> Re the definition of NC, it is a fairly generic term which, in an
> agreement, is sometimes left as is (as "non commercial") or is further
> defined within the agreement (e.g., by way of a laundry list of what is /
> isn't allowed). Also, some state statutes define it w/ in the context of a
> particular law.
>
> In the case of CC, it has been defined in the Legal Code. If there are
> disputes re the meaning of "commercial advantage" as used within the Legal
> Code, it would be resolve by a third party (e.g., a court) within the
> context of this definition (i.e., not to include situations where the work
> is exchanged for other works). I think the current language is
> sufficiently clear (though, I could see new scenarios for compensation down
> the road which may warrant further defining NC).

If you still think this, and still think it is clear, you have not followed
this idea in these lists recently.

It is anything but clear. Some hold that a school which charges tuition could
use NC works as text books and the like and still fall within the NC
guidelines if they are a non-profit school. But, if they are a for profit
school, they can't Some think it doesn't matter the status of the entity it
matters what the particular use is. Etc.

Do you have any clarity to add? I am sure many here honestly want to know. I
am one.