cc-licenses - Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:03:44 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> Am I wrong that a big RIAA label would be able to take my (C) and (P) song
> and
> put it on an album with some works that they have the copyrights to and sell
> it at a profit and not pay me anything? (with my work released under a CC
> BY-SA license. Both the (C) and the (P) rights.)

I don't know. I'm not as familiar with the music legal technicalities
as the software stuff. Maybe someone can answer the technicalities.

But someone could be selling your song right now on their website as
an individual download. Rhapsody could make it available as part of
their $9.95 a month subscription with unlimited music. iTunes could
be downloading it and charging people 80 cents or whatever they charge.

So stopping aggregates and compilations is sort of like turning the
faucet off on the Titanic.