cc-licenses - Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:34:39 -0500

On Monday 28 March 2005 07:13 pm, Glenn Otis Brown wrote:
> not sure if this has been answered yet, but the reasons for not
> extending the SA requirement to collective works are
>
> (1) to avoid the kind of confusion that sometimes happens with the GPL
> regarding aggregation of "free" and "nonfree" works -- happens quite a
> bit --
> early on we wanted to clarify between mere aggregations (no copyleft)
> and derivations (copyleft)

This is a valid point, but by allowing both options, that is to cover
derivatives, collections and compilations. (Not actually cover, but really
grant the license only in these circumstances.) And to cover only derivatives
and not compilations and collections, that might actually help to clear up
possible confusions when people investigate the differences in the choices.

In point of fact, I am asking CC to provide me with the option of preventing
free and non-free compilations and collections where my work is free.

> (2) to avoid profilerating license options -- we already get a lot of
> feedback that there are too many options as it is. the marginal gain
> from adding a broader SA requirement outweighs costs in UI, etc.

Now, this is a much more weighty reason to my mind. However, it seems we
already have a large number and unless we have plans on reducingthe number, I
don't see the extra set causing undue additional problems. (At least from a
proliferation point of view.)

Isn't one of the big problems with license proliferation the difficulties of
using works published under different licenses in combined works?

Thanks for the response.