cc-licenses - Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:32:25 -0500

On Monday 28 March 2005 01:13 pm, Greg London wrote:
> drew Roberts said:
> > ... people with big money are ... lobbying for ... laws that put me at
> > grave risk of jail ... for what could be simple innocent mistakes
>
> oooh-kaayy, so what exactly are we talking about here?

Hey Greg,

although I am hot, I am not over the top. (At least I don't think I am.)

Found out last week that (according to my lawyer) a person in my country who
goes to a store and buys a few dvds or cds, believing them to be the genuine
article, is subject to a fine of $50,000.00 per disk and I think jail - all
for simple posession of those disks.

I think this is out of hand, and I am a bit bothered by the situation right
now. I have the idea in my head right now that I would not want the people
responsible for pushing for the passage of such laws, to be able to take a
song I wrote, and paid to have produced and then released under CC BY-SA to
be able to take this song and include it in an album/cd with a bunch of their
traditionally copyrighted songs and earn money which will help them fund
their push for even worse laws.

I may change my mind when I cool down, but given the range of options CC says
they want to provide, (is this right?) what is inherently with these being
amoung the options to choose from.