cc-licenses - Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:16:14 -0500

On Monday 28 March 2005 01:50 pm, Greg London wrote:
> drew Roberts said:
> > Found out last week that (according to my lawyer) a person in my country
> > who goes to a store and buys a few dvds or cds, believing them to be the
> > genuine article, is subject to a fine of $50,000.00 per disk and I think
> > jail - all for simple posession of those disks.
>
> I don't see how requiring ShareAlike be applied to aggregations
> has much to do with this situation.

I don't know that it does directly. But why were such laws passed and why has
the copyright duration been getting extended? Why has copyright violations
moved from being a civil offence to being a criminal offence? Why has it gone
from a "prove damages" world to a statutory damages world?

One reason is that the big copyright owners/players have been pushing/lobying
for such changes to the copyright laws. I am currently upset enough with this
situation that I would not want those same people earning money from my work,
especially withoug having to pay me. Why should I give them this money as a
gift only to have them use it against me by funding the push for even worse
laws?

Am I wrong that a big RIAA label would be able to take my (C) and (P) song
and
put it on an album with some works that they have the copyrights to and sell
it at a profit and not pay me anything? (with my work released under a CC
BY-SA license. Both the (C) and the (P) rights.)

If so, there is your answer.

Again, I may be hot enought that I am not thinking clearly on this, but so
far, no one has pointed this out in their answers to my posts.

Also, NC applies in the manner I am requesting. Right? Why shouldn't SA in
the
absence of NC?