cc-licenses - Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: evan AT bad.dynu.ca (Evan Prodromou)
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:30:44 -0500

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:42:39AM -0500, Greg London wrote:

> > In other words, can I make a derivative of Wiki 0.5 pages be
> > a Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 work, and vice versa? What about iCommons
> > by-sa licenses?
>
> given a big-wiki with project-only attribution,
> and a local-share project with individual attribution,
> how should the projects combine, if at all?

That's not actually what I was trying to get at. Here's the problem I
see:

g. "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as
selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License:
Attribution, ShareAlike.

>From section 4b:

b. You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License,
a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this
License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same
License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Japan).

The problem is that the block of text that we could call "the
Attribution license element" is different between
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 and Wiki 0.5. They're both called
"Attribution", but the requirements are different. Same name,
different things.

So when the ShareAlike part requires a license that "contains the same
License Elements", does this mean "contains License Elements with the
same name", or "contains License Elements with the same text"?

This is the first time this has come up, so I figured it was worth
discussing.

~Evan